Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Naughty Cakes


The "Bare' Stage


'Top down' view


Side view


Frontal view


Here's happy Keith, dressed in his smart office attire and fixing my pipes


I’m happy to share about my naughty cakes. Some cakes are ‘naughty by nature’ (ie; high in calories) and some just looks naughty.

This Bikini Birthday cake was customised for my interior designer Keith. What can i say...cheeky cakes for cheeky mates ;)

I first started with making a basic chocolate sponge that’s moist and firm enough for sculpting. I have the chocolate sponge sandwiched with lush dark chocolate ganache and placed in the fridge to get ready for ‘carving’ (chilled cakes are easier to carve). The torso is ‘carved’ out from a cake baked in a square tin and the ‘assets’ are carved from round bottom moulds. I used simple white non-dairy whipped frosting to ice the cake as Keith has pretty strong objections on icing the ‘body’ with dark chocolate ganache... he prefers ‘white’ babes.

There are others ways to cover the cake, for example marzipan or gum paste which have a dough-like consistency and can be rolled to a thickness ideal for covering the cake. The bikini is made with whipped cream icing tainted with pink colour and ‘laced’ with colourful silver beads.





This other cake is a 2 tier chocolate mud cake made for a children’s party. I think the unwritten rule for all children cake is that it has gotta be colourful and captivating. I have carefully placed chocolate Hersey kisses, walnuts and sugar beads sparsely around the cake just before the dark chocolate ganache sets. It’s such a simple deco but the result is awesome.
Any new baker can deco the cake in less than 5 minutes, no worries!

No comments: